Monday, June 13, 2011

Rockin Pesto Bean Dip

Mommy, what smells so good?
It's a new veggie dip. Wanna try some?
Sure! This is really good mom. What's in it?
White beans.
Beans?
Yup.
Not black beans?
Nope. White beans.
Oh. Good. Cause I don't like black beans and this is really good.I think this has to be the easiest dip I've ever made. Not only is it easy, it is down right tasty. Even Mrblocko and Blockette love it as much as I do. This is awesome cause any way to increase our veggie intake is a good thing.

Here is what you do:
1. Drain and rinse one can of white beans and place it into the bowl of a food processor. (I used Great Northerns.)

2. add about 3 T of pesto. (I used Classico Basil Pesto. This is a really garlic-y pesto which imparts a ton of flavor to the dip. If you have a more mild pesto, you will need to add more.)

3. Add 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice, about the juice from 1 lemon. (I've forgotten this before and the dip still tastes wonderful.)

4. Turn on the food processor and stream in some olive oil until the dip is your preferred consistency. (The amount of olive oil I use is different every time I've made this. It's going to depend on the humidity, your beans and how much pesto you use. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around 1/4 c oil.)

5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

6. If you have time, this dip tastes even better if left to sit in the fridge for a few hours so the flavors can marry.

I found the basic recipe for white bean and pesto dip over at epicurious first, but I've seen versions of this same recipe all over the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!