Monday, March 3, 2014

Croissants - The real deal

 Croissants.

We're talkin' the kind the Frenchy French eat, not the pop 'em out of the the tube kind.

I made them.

From Scratch.

I totally feel like I've "arrived" in the culinary world.


They were the most difficult thing I've ever made.  All the rolling and rolling and rolling of the dough.  It did a number on my hands and arms.  I don't recommend making them if you have carpal tunnel.  You'll be in pain for at least a week.

But man...were they good.  Eye-rolling in the back of your head good.  Every so slightly crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside.  Layers and layers of flaky buttery goodness.

I used the recipe from Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen.  I'm not going to re write all the directions, they are just too long and don't make much sense without the step by step pictures.  Ellie from Home Cooking in Montana has some brilliant instructions and lovely pictures.  Head on over to see what I'm talking about.

The directions and ingredient list are this way for a reason.  Deviating from them will result in mediocre croissants.  If you're going to go through all the effort to make the croissants you don't want to be let down with a less than heavenly pastry.  When they say to use the expensive European butter, do it!  The high gluten flour...yup.  Swap out skim milk for whole? No way!  Skimp out on all that chilling and waiting time...you'll be sorry if you do.

Will I make these bad boys again?  I'm undecided. Maybe, in a few years, if I can convince Mrblocko to help out with the dough rolling.  I am glad that I didn't talk myself out of making them.  I felt invincible in the kitchen...at least until I burnt a pot of rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!