Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cake Mix Cookies Take Two

I wrote about my first run in with cake mix cookies here. Not to get discouraged, I tried Once Upon a Gourmet Gin's Vanilla Toffee Crinkles. Yay verily they did not suck. Them was good. No...GOOOOOOOD. Sit down and eat the whole pan good. Holy cow. They are buttery and chewy and airy and light and num-o-riffic.

The only bad thing about this recipe is that it calls for 1/2 cup of oil. Wowza that's a lot. Eat too many of these things and you will feel it in the end. Literally. Next time, (oh yes there will be loads of next times) I'll try substituting half the oil with applesauce. If that turns out just as tasty as the original version, I'll try subbing all the oil for applesauce.

I don't know if it was all the oil, but my cookies didn't get that nice crinkle look to them. I wound up sprinkling powdered sugar on top of them right as they came out of the oven to get that crackled effect.


Vanilla Toffee Crinkle Cookies from Once upon a gourmet gin
1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 bag toffee bits
confectioners' sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350°. Stir dry cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl til dough forms. Gently fold in Toffee Bits. Dust hands with confectioners' sugar and shape dough into 1" balls. Roll balls in confectioners' sugar and place 2" apart on non stick cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 min til center is set. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!