Monday, August 17, 2009

Forgetting to put the lime in the coconut... er burger

I made this burger 2 weekends ago. I'm just a bit behind on recipes.

This recipe for Grilled Caribbean Burger hails from Betty Crocker. It's quite rare that I find a main dish from BC that I think the whole family will like. Desserts are usually the only thing I find appealing. However, this recipe caught my eye because it contains ground pork. It was great to have yet another burger that was different from the norm. The allspice, red pepper flakes, and thyme were a great combination but I thought they needed something sweet to tame the intensity of those strong flavors. Mrblocko and I thought adding some pineapple to the mix would add sweetness and moisture.

A few days later I was looking for something in the fridge and I came across this lonely lime. Wait a minute...ack! I forgot to put the lime zest in the burger. Duh. That probably would have balanced out the flavors really nicely. Hey, maybe that's why it was in the recipe! I'll try this again in a few weeks WITH the lime zest and then post a comment on here with the results.

Oh, the recipe also suggested you serve them on grilled french bread. I'm sure that would have tasted wonderful, but I thought it might have been a bit difficult to bite into without unhinging my jaw.


Betty Crocker's Grilled Caribbean Pork Burgers
1 pound lean ground pork
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch slices
8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil

Brush grill rack with veg oil. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Mix all ingredients except onion, bread and oil. Shape mix into 4 patties, about 3/4" thick.
Cover and grill patties 4-5" from med heat, 15-18 min, turning once, til no longer pink in center. Add onion slices to grill for last 8-10 min of grilling, turning once, til golden brown. Brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Add bread to grill for last 2-3 min of grilling, turning once, til golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!