Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Espresso Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mrblocko went over to his friends house for a game night this weekend. He asked me if I would please make some cookies for him to bring along. I told him I would, as long as his friends were willing to be guinea pigs.

Ever since I made the Espresso Chocolate Shortbread Cookies back in June, I've been wanting to experiment some more with the espresso powder. Baking bites posted this recipe for Coffee Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in July. It's been on my to do list, but there are just so many good things I want to make. I don't have the time, money or stomach for all the sweets on the to do list.

These must have been good because Mrblocko brought home an empty container. I thought they were just ok. I guess I was hoping they would wow my socks off like the Shortbread ones did. The coffee flavor was quite mild the first day, but grew stronger after the second day. The cookies were definitely better the second day.

My dough was extremely soft and sticky after I mixed all the ingredients together. I let the dough chill out in the fridge overnight and it was much easier to scoop into balls. These cookies really spread out a lot and made much more than 3.5 dozen stated in the recipe.

I had set aside the milk chocolate from Blockette's Halloween candy stash for baking purposes. I chopped up all the Hershey bars and kisses and came up with 1/2 cup. For the remaining cup of chocolate in the recipe, I used semi sweet chocolate chips. I think dark chocolate would pair better with the espresso. These are a grown up cookie and really deserve grown up chocolate. I'll use dark chocolate chips next time.

Coffee Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Baking Bits
1 1/2 tbsp instant espresso powder
3 tbsp water
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, dissolve instant espresso powder in water. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, followed by espresso mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Stir in rolled oats and chocolate chips. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with your fingertips and leave about 2 inches between cookies to allow room for them to spread. Bake for 11-14 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges and set in the center.
Cool for 2-3 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!