Saturday, January 2, 2010

Apple Butter Bundt

This apple butter bundt from Fuzzy Koala's Caketastic Adventures was made a few weeks ago for a Christmas party. I was so busy making Christmas cookies that I forgot to write about this cake.

Sweet sassy molassy was this a tasty cake. I accidentally grabbed spiced apple butter at the grocery store, but that just added to the deliciousness. If I could make mistakes like that everyday what a scrumptious world we'd be living in.

Fuzzy Koala said that she thought there should have been more apples. I took her lead and used a large granny smith apple instead of a small one. Next time, I will use 2 large apples. One apple, even though it was a large one, just didn't pack enough of an apple punch. Hopefully, this won't make the cake too moist.

I don't know what Fuzzy Koala did, but my glaze was super thick. I think I may have needed to use a tablespoon of shortening instead of a teaspoon and a half. Because the glaze was thick and stringy on top of the cake, once it was cut it sort of flaked off the edges of the sliced piece. We all sort of fought over the flaked off bits. OK, I fought over them. I'm greedy like that. (Don't worry I did it in the true spirit of Christmas...gimme!)

There were only a few slices left over which we were forced to take home with us from the party. I shared them with Blockette. After one bite she closed her eyes and said, "Mommy you gotta make this again." I sure will!

Apple Butter Bundt from Fuzzy Koala
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ c. butter, softened
⅔ cup + 2 Tbl. sugar
2 eggs
⅓ cup sour cream
1 cup apple butter
1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped (I was a somewhat disappointed with the cake:apple raio. Should have used 2 apples, or one big one.)

Glaze:
⅔ cup cinnamon chips
1½ tsp. vegetable shortening

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-cup Bundt pan. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside. Beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine sour cream and apple butter. Add to sugar mixture alternately with flour mixture, mixing well after each addition. Fold in chopped apple. Spoon into prepared Bundt pan, smoothing batter with a spatula. Bake at 325°F for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack or serving platter to finish cooling. Top with glaze.

Cinnamon chip glaze: Place the cinnamon chips and the shortening in a small glass bowl in the microwave on high power. Heat until the chips have just melted, 30-45 seconds. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir the glaze until it is smooth. Or melt the chips and shortening in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Pour glaze over cooled Bundt cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!