Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Orangey Whole Wheat Flax Waffles

MMMMM. Waffles. How can you not love them? Most of the time I just cheat and whip up a big batch from a box mix. Sometimes it's nice to switch things up a bit and try a "fancy" from scratch version. I have a list of waffle recipes I'd like to try. I showed the list to Blockette and let her choose. She picked Healthier Whole Wheat Waffles from goodLife{eats}.Apperently, the recipe on goodLife{eats}is one that she made over. The original recipe had a whole cup of sugar, plus the sugar content from 2 cups of apple juice. This revised recipe has 1/3 c brown sugar and the juice from one orange. Loads less sugar, which is a great thing for me, especially now that it is hotter and I have to be careful about my sugar intake.

When I make new waffles for the first time I taste test them plain, without butter or syrup. My first impression was that they were sweet. Not overly sweet, but a good sweet, the kind that I thought didn't need any syrup though. This may be because I used a sweet mineola orange. If I thought the reduced sugar version was sweet, I can only imagine what the original waffles must taste like!

One word of warning, this batter is very thick. I have one of those round waffle makers, not the kind that has 2 or 4 squares. If you have a small waffle iron like this, 1/3 c of batter will be enough for one waffle, but you will need to spread it out quickly over the entire surface of the iron with a spatula.

I'm going to have to make these waffles again in the not too distant future. One, because they were so tasty, and two because Blockette and I ate these for dinner two nights when Mrblocko wasn't home.  Mrblocko was none too happy he didn't get a single taste!


Healthier Whole Wheat Waffles from Good Life Eats
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cold milled flax
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
3 eggs, separated
juice of one orange
zest of half an orange

Preheat waffle iron. Sift brown sugar, flour, flax, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add egg yolks and milk to dry ingredients and beat together thoroughly. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Stir 1/2 of the egg whites into the waffle batter, and then fold in the remaining egg whites and stir (do not beat) until mixed. Add butter, orange juice and zest, and mix until smooth. Grease the waffle iron, if necessary. Pour scant 1/3 c of batter on the heated waffle mold. Makes about 10-16 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!