Monday, October 29, 2012

Phylo Apple Triangles

A few weeks ago I was rooting around in the freezer, and I found this weird package.  I opened it up and discovered it was filo dough!  I had no idea how it got in there, or how old it was, as it was no longer in its original packaging.

I opened up the zip bag and it looked and smelled to be in useable condition.  Not being one to want to waste good food, I set out on an internet quest to find a good recipe for those thin pastry sheets.

I thought these apple bourekas from Steamy Kitchen were going to be the winner until I found the recipe for Apple Triangles from Cannella Vita.  They were essentially the same recipe, except the one fromm Cannella Vita uses applesauce instead of sliced apples.

This seemed like the way to go as I didn't want to spend all that time chopping and peeling if the Phyllo turned out to be freezer burnt or something like that.
I did have to throw some of the pastry out.  It was just too flaky to work with. 

Because the dough was more fragile than normal, I took two sheets at a time, brushed the top sheet with butter and sugar, folded them into thirds, then placed a spoonful of applesauce on the edge, and folded them up like a flag.  Grabbing the sheets two at a time seemed to make them a bit more sturdy when I brushed on the butter.  I folded the dough because I was afraid it would tear if I attempted to cut it.  Finally, I brushed the triangle pouches with butter to help seal the edges before dusting them with sugar and cinnamon.

The philo leftovers from my freezer yielded 10 apple-y pouches.

Surprisingly, they tasted great!  I could tell that the pastry was the tiniest bit stale, but neither Blockette nor Mrblocko could. 

They were a tasty quick unexpected treat.  I'd totally make them again!

Filo Apple Triangles from Canella Vita
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup apple sauce (I used a single serving container of cinnamon applesauce)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted  (I used salted butter, but unsalted would be better here)
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Preheat the oven 375°F.  Stir the cinnamon into the apple sauce. Cut phyllo sheets in half horizontally and cover with a damp towel. Lay 1 sheet on your work service and using a pastry brush, brush with butter then sprinkle with sugar and follow with 2 more sheets {cover the remaining with a damp cloth}. Slice lengthwise into 3 strips. Place a heaping teaspoon of apple sauce at one end and fold into a triangle as you would a flag. Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Looks delicious! I love how you sprinkled cinnamon on yours! (Cinnamon makes everything better am I right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! You can never ever have too much cinnamon in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!