Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Three Variations on the Microwave Oatmeal Cookie

A little less than a month ago, I wrote about this Microwave Oatmeal cookie.  I couldn't help thinking, about other versions of this recipe.

First I made a version with Biscoff instead of Peanut butter:
(1/4c oats, 1T brown sugar, 1T biscoff, 1T strawberry yogurt, 1t cornstarch, 1/4t vanilla, 1/4t cinnamon, 1T chocolate chips.)

I am the biggest fan of Biscoff, but I thought this tasted sickeningly sweet.  Maybe because there is so much sugar in the Biscoff, it didn't need the extra tablespoon of Brown sugar? 

There won't be any more microwave cookies with Biscoff in the future works for me.

So, I thought I'd try a version with Dark Chocolate Peanut butter:
(1/4c oats, 1T brown sugar, 1T Dark chocolate peanut butter, 1T strawberry yogurt, 1t cornstarch, 1/4t vanilla, 1/4t cinnamon, 1T coconut flakes, 1T chopped banana chips.)

As the chocolate peanut butter belonged to Blockette, I was "forced" to share this cookie with her.  We agreed that while we liked this version, the cookie with the peanut butter and blueberry craisins was much tastier.

Then I got all crazy and made this:
(1/4c oats, 1T pancake syrup, 2T peanut butter, 1t cornstarch, scant 1/8t almond extract, scant 1/2t apple pie spice, 1T golden raisins.)

I got tired of trying to figure out ways to make the yogurt flavors work within the recipe, so I wondered what the cookie would taste like if I removed it altogether. To make up for the lack of moisture, I doubled the amount of peanut butter.  I only ever eye balled it, I'm guessing the peanut butter was somewhere bettween 2 and 3 Tablespoons.  I also swapped the brown sugar out for pancake syrup.  I thought that a liquid sweetener would help bind up the mixture as well as add some interesting flavors.  To play off the maple in the syrup, I used apple pie spice instead of just cinnamon.  The last swap I made was for almond extract, in place of the vanilla.  Almond extract seems more powerful than vanilla, so I reduced the amount by half.  Finally, I used golden raisins as my mix-in.  Golden raisins are a bit more plump and moist.  I thought they would take to the microwave process better than the regular kind.

This was my favorite version of this cookie. It is much drier and crumblier than all the other versions though.  It reminds me of my favorite flourless peanut butter cookie, which is quite crumbly.  Of course, if you don't LIKE a crumbly peanut butter cookie, then this version is totally not for you.

One final note, as this is a drier cookie, it only needs to be nuked for 40 seconds, vs the 50 seconds for the other versions.

Please let me know if you try any of these versions, or if you come up with new versions you like as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!