Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pumpkin Crisp

I made this pumpkin crisp from Rachael Schultz when we went out to see my Mother-in-law back in December.


I was slightly overwhelmed with all the baking I had lined up for myself (see here, here and here).  I wanted something I could whip up the night before with minimal effort.

Boy did this ever fit the bill.  It's a dump and go sort of recipe.  Not only was this super easy to throw together, the flavor was amazing.  I think a big part of that may have been that I used a box of caramel cake mix instead of the yellow cake mix as suggested in the original recipe.

Why I had that box of caramel cake mix in the pantry, I just don't know.  I must have purchased it for something specific and then promptly forgot what it was!

Anyhow, I highly suggest using the caramel cake mix if you can find it.  I know it's hit or miss at the store by me.  I'll be keeping my eye out for more caramel cake mix as my mother-in-law suggested insisted I make this again.  I'm more than happy to oblige.


Pumpkin Crisp from Rachel Schultz
Serves 9-10
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 package cake mix - caramel if you can find it
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter, melted
Whipped cream(optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix over pumpkin mixture in an even layer. Arrange pecans on cake mix. Pour butter evenly over pecans, moistening all the cake mix. (I found the best way to make sure all the cake mix was covered was to use a spoon and drizzle.  If I had poured it  from a bowl or measuring cup I would have had pools of butter in spots and dry cake mix in others.) Bake for 70-80 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool and top with whipped cream. Serve warm. (We ate ours room temp and found it needed no whipped topping of any kind.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!