Monday, February 18, 2013

Turkey Enchilada Mac

Yeah, I've been squirreling away leftover turkey in the freezer. I NEED to get cracking on using up those leftovers. I mean I have a whole other huge turkey in the freezer. And that needs to get used up BEFORE Easter. See, ham goes on sale over Easter, and I need to make sure there is room in the freezer for that spare ham!

So, enter Chicken Enchilada Mac and cheese from Savoury Table.

Yes, I know it says Chicken, but I swapped out that chicken for turkey.  I also added 2 c of corn and 1 1/2 cups of black beans.  Then I used 9 oz of pasta instead of 6. 

Heh, I'd say that is pretty tame as far as recipe substitutions go!

The casserole was great, and yielded a ton of leftovers how I made it.  AND as a bonus, it didn't turn out all soupy like the last casserole I made. Double win.

Turkey Enchilada Mac adapted from Savoury Table
9 ounces macaroni
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 c turkey stock
1 – 1/2 T chili powder
1 – 1/2 t cumin
1 t coriander
1/2 t onion powder
3/4 c milk
1 – 1/2 cups shredded cheddar/Mexican cheese blend, divided
2 c shredded Turkey
2 c frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 c  cooked black beans
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook macaroni to package directions in a stockpot of salted boiling water; drain and set aside. While noodles cook, melt butter in lg pan over med heat. Add garlic. Sauté  1 min. Sprinkle flour over butter and garlic. Stir til forms smooth paste. While whisking constantly, add broth and bring to slow boil; cook 1 min. Add milk, spices and ½ c cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir well and set aside. Add cooked mac, chicken, corn and beans to sauce in pan. Stir. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Top with cheese. Bake til bubbly, 25-35min.  Cool 5 min before serving. 
We ate ours with sour cream and salsa on the top!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for linking me to your recipe. I am the queen of customization with others recipes so I LOVE to see what other cooks do with mine. I love your version and will be trying it soon. This is one of my family's favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!