Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Feb Choc Chip Cookie: Veg Oil Version

Last week I mentioned I would be featuring a different chocolate chip cookie recipe every month. For February, I chose to make Pastry Affair's Vegan Chocolate chunk cookies.

Except my version is not vegan.  I used moo juice and regular old chips that contained dairy.

I had a partial bag of semi sweet and butterscotch chips that I tossed into the cookie dough.  I don't think the butterscotch chips really added anything to the mix.  They still tasted ok, but they weren't a burst of amazing flavor the way they are in oatmeal scotchies.
I have stated in the past that I prefer a butter based cookie over anything.  For a non butter cookie, these were pretty tasty.

They did not spread the way a normal chocolate chip cookie would.  I decided to press them down like you do when you make a peanut butter cookie.  I thought this improved their texture.  I also topped them with additional chips.  While this made them look pretty, the chips fell off during storage.

I do think this recipe is a great option for those who can't, or choose not to have dairy or egg. 

Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Pastry Affair
1/2 c br sugar
1/4 c sugar
2/3 c veg oil
1/4 c almond or soy milk (I used moo juice for those non vegans out there)
2 t vanilla
2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 tsalt
3 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped (use dairy-free chocolate to keep it vegan) (I used chips)

Preheat oven to 350F. In large bowl, whisk sugars, oil, and milk for several minutes til mix resembles smooth caramel sauce. Add vanilla. Fold in flour, baking soda, salt. If the dough is not stiff enough to hold its shape, add more flour by the tablespoon until it holds together. (I had to add nearly 1/4 c) Add chocolate.  Using small cookie scoop, drop dough on sheet. Bake 8-9 min, or til lightly browned on edges. Cool on sheet several min then cool on paper towels to soak up any excess oils.I thought these cookies tasted best after the cookies had cooled, but the chocolate was still melty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!