Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pizza Pot Pie...for Pi Day

I'm a little late posting this, but we did indeed celebrate Pi day last Thursday.  For dinner I made this Pizza Pot Pie from Eat At Home.


I got super fancy and slashed 3.14 into the dough.
 
Here's what it looks like when you serve it.  The cheese is on the bottom, so if you've sprayed your baking dish sufficiently as I did, when you flip it over the cheese will be on the top and the crust on the bottom.

Now over at Eat At Home, they call this a Chicago style pizza pot pie.  I'd say they should stick with calling it Deep dish pizza pot pie.  Chicago style pizza has cheese on the crust, then toppings, then sauce, which is usually chunky.  Of course if you made this dish like that, it wouldn't plate up nearly as neatly. 

I'm not a fan of Chicago style pizza.  I feel I can say that because I am not, by any stretch a native Chicagoan/Illinoisian. Although my husband seems to think so since I've lived in the Chicago burbs for 10+ years now.  Once a Minnesotan, always a Minnesotan.  This is probably why he's a Vikings fan, not a Bears or Packers fan. 

Anyhow, the pizza...I like my cheese on the top, non chunky style pizza...so this dish was awesome.

I did run into a problem with the crust though.  It wouldn't brown. I baked it for nearly 40 minutes and it was still quite pale.  As Blockette and I were starving, I just cranked up the broiler for 5 minutes and that did the trick.

I'd say there is something weird going on with my oven not getting hot enough as I had chocolate chip cookies that took extra time to bake, however, last weekend I made a turkey and it got done a full hour before the recipe said it should have.  Who knows what's going on with that.

Deep Dish Pizza Pot Pie from Eat At Home
Crust:
1 pkg. yeast (or 2 1/4 t.)
1 c warm water
1 t sugar
2 T. veg oil
2 1/2 c bread flour (you can use all-purpose, but bread flour makes a fluffier crust)
1 t salt

filling:
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2-3 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1 jar pizza sauce

For top of crust:
2 T. melted butter
dried oregano and basil

Make dough: Dissolve yeast in water. Mix in other ingredients until well blended. I used a stand mixer with a dough hook, but you can also mix by hand. Let dough rest while sausage cooks. Brown sausage with onion and garlic. Drain to remove fat. Heavily spray 9×13 dish. Layer: cheese, meat and then sauce.  Roll out dough to shape of your dish.  I just used my hands to press out a shape.  Carefully transfer the dough to the top of the dish. Roll any excess dough under to make a sturdier edge.  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with oregano and basil, if desired. Bake  at 425F for 25-40  min. Flip pieces upside down to serve, so cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!