Monday, February 24, 2014

You put WHAT in this Chocolate Pudding???

Avocados.

Yes.

I made pudding with avocados.

It sounds mega bizarre, but it resulted in a very rich wonderful pudding.

Although, I think this recipe could have been even better if it has booze in it.  It was my plan to use  the 1 T of Kahlua that the recipe called for. 

Then I opened the bottle.  It was chunky and sludgy.  Does alcohol go bad?  I had no idea.  The general consensus on the interwebs was that after 4 years, that Kahlua should be pitched.  So into the trash it went. 

Then I thought, "Oh! Chambord would taste great too!"

Not when it smells like cough syrup.

Sigh. 

At least the Kahlua had company in the garbage can.

I decided to just add another tablespoon of maple syrup in place of the booze. 

While we all thought the pudding was great, it was definitely missing something.  I sprinkled on a few mini chocolate chips and that really did the trick.

Mrblocko said that he could taste the avocado.  I certainly couldn't, and neither could Blockette.  I think he may have noticed it because he knew it was in there.  I'm certain if I had added the suggested Kahlua, or Chambord it would have masked any hint of the green fruit completely.

Even though Blockette watched me prepare this dessert, she was surprised when Mrblocko and I were discussing the flavor of the avocado.  She thought we were pulling her leg.  Although, I'm not sure where she would get that idea.  We NEVER do that.


Avocado Pudding adapted from Produce on Parade
1/4 c dark chocolate chunks or chips
2 ripe avocados
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c maple syrup
1 T. Hazelnut Kahlua (or other liqueur or maple syrup)
1/4 t kosher salt
2 T almond milk

melt the chips in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each time until melted.  Blend remaining ingredients in food processor til smooth.  Add melted chocolate and puree, making sure to scrape down the sides so you don't have any green bits in your pudding.  Chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge.  Top with mini chips or nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!