Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Enchilada Rice Skillet

I found this recipe over at Heat Oven to 350.  I was looking for a quick meal to use up some leftover turkey breast. This meal whipped up in less than an hour!  And it was delish to boot!  Double win!!!!


I made a few minor alterations to the recipe.  First I added a can of drained Rotel, used half of a red, yellow and orange pepper, and upped the spices.  Oh I also set the olives aside so  everyone could put as much or as little as they wanted in their individual dish.

As you can see, I REALLY like olives.

Blockette thought this was a little spicy from the Rotel, but not so much that she couldn't handle the heat.  I thought it was pleasantly spicy, leaving a slight tingle on your tongue.

This is a great go to meal for a busy weeknight!

Enchilada Rice Skillet from Heat Over 350
1 c uncooked rice
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey (I used 2 c chopped cooked turkey breast)
1 medium onion, chopped (I used 2 small onions)
1 can of mild rotel
1 red bell peppers, chopped (I used red, orange and yellow)
1 t chili powder
1 t cumin
1/4 c sour cream
2 c green enchilada sauce (about 1 1/2 cans)
1 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used jalapeno cheddar)
1 c sliced black olives
1 1/2 c cooked black beans,
1 bunch sliced green onions

Cook rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking, in a large skillet saute onions and pepper. After 5 min add drained rotel. Cook 10 min until tomatoes start to turn dark around the edges as they caramelize. While veggies cook, stir sour cream, enchilada sauce, 1/2 c cheese, black olives and beans. When veggies cooked, add chili powder and cumin. stir and cook 1 min. Add rice, meat and sauce. Top with more cheese and green onions.  Place under broiler for 2 min or until cheese is melted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!