Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Luna's Scarf

The older I get the more I identify with Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.  I used to think I was most like Hermione.  After several years of being a mega Harry Potter fan, I've come to the realization I have more in common with Luna.  She's smart AND weird. Moreover, she's cool with her weird quirks, even oblivious.  She doesn't really fit in much of anywhere, but is extremely loyal to her true friends. 

Yup. That's me.


Naturally, when I saw a pattern, on craftster, for the scarf that Luna wears in "Order of the Phoenix" I went completely gaga.  I went out the next day in search of the perfect yarn.

Well, I couldn't find the perfect yarn so I settled on Bernat Softee Baby in the Flannel color.  This yarn is classified as a light or 3.  Even though the yarn is thinner than the suggested yarn I thought my scarf was getting too wide compared to the one Luna wore.  I omitted one of the center most rows.  I still think this scarf is too wide in comparison to the original.























You can see my scarf is as wide as Luna's, even with the missing row.
Here's a closeup of the missing ladder type row.  If you look carefully at the picture of Luna you can see her scarf has two of these rows.



If I could have found it, I think a sock weight, or even a finger weight yarn, and a smaller hook would have replicated the scarf better.  Alas, I could not find anything that was not made of wool in a grey I liked.

All things aside, I love how this scarf turned out.  It's a really soft and comfy fashion scarf for spring and winter.

Head to Craftster for the wonderful pattern.   The creator of the pattern has written instructions and a chart which are super easy to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!