Monday, May 19, 2014

Turkey Pot Pie

The pie crust recipe I used to make the Fauxberry Pie for April Fools made two crusts.  I decided to make Pioneer Woman's Turkey pot pie with the extra one I had stored in the fridge.

I'd never made any kind of pot pie that didn't come out of a cardboard box, so I was pretty excited about how this one turned out.

The recipe calls for a 2 quart casserole dish.  As I added extra veggies (corn and peas), my pie filling no longer fit in a 2 quart container!  I used the next biggest dish which held 3 qts, my 9x13 baking dish.  I just rolled the dough out thinner and longer to make do.


For some reason my pie crust just wouldn't brown like The Pioneer Woman's did.  I even baked it for an additional 20 min.  Even upon reheating the leftovers in the oven at 350F for 20 min, my crust didn't get that deep dark golden tan.  Looks aside this Turkey pot pie was scrumptious. The reheated leftovers were even better than the ones served on the first day.  The filling that had oozed out the side got this crust on it that was super yummy.  Just writing about it is making me salivate!

I will definitely make this dish again!

Turkey Pot Pie from Pioneer Woman
4 T Butter
1/2 c Finely Diced Onion
1/2 c Finely Diced Carrot
1/2 c Finely Diced Celery
(A few handfuls of frozen corn and/or peas if desired)
3 c Shredded Cooked Chicken Or Turkey
1/4 c Flour
3 c Low-sodium Chicken Broth, Plus More If Needed
Splash Of White Wine (optional) - I omitted because I didn't have any on hand
1/4 t Turmeric
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Chopped Fresh Thyme To Taste (I used a few shakes of dried thyme instead)
1/4 c Half-and-half Or Cream
1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust
1 whole Egg
2 TWater

Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt butter in a large pot over med-high heat, then add the onion, carrots, and celery. Stir them around until the onions start to turn translucent, about 3 min. Stir in meat, then sprinkle flour over top and stir til combined . Cook for 1 min, then add  broth (and wine if using) and stir it around and let it cook and thicken. Once it starts to thicken add turmeric, salt, pepper, and thyme (and frozen veggies, if using). Add half-and-half or cream, then stir and let thicken, about 3 min. If it seems overly thick, splash in a little more broth. Turn off heat. Pour filling into 2 (or 3)-quart baking dish. Roll out pie crust on a floured surface and lay it over  top of dish. Press dough so edges stick to outside of pan. Use a knife to cut little vents here and there in the surface of the dough. Mix egg with water and brush over surface of crust. (You will have some egg wash left over.)

Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 25-30 min, til crust is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly. To prevent crust from getting too brown, you might want to cover it lightly with foil for  first 15 min baking time (I omitted this step).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!