Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Very Cherry Infestation

This fall, while waiting for Blockette to come home from school, I was very innocently reading in the garage. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this brown thing. I screamed so loud when I realized it was a rather large brown rodent. Luckily, no one else heard me scream. Or if they did they just thought it was a crazy lady screaming over a mouse.

Well that little guy multiplied. He and his whole clan invaded my kitchen. Aieeee. Wait...look how cute they are...and delicious. Who knew that about mice?These little cherry mice , from Craftster, couldn't be easier to make. The trickiest part is remembering to dry off the cherries before dipping them in chocolate. (If you don't the chocolate will harden upon contact and make things a wee bit difficult for you.)

Blockette was upset that I was making these for the church bake sale, and not for her. I found that odd considering she does not like maraschino cherries. I had a few in the jar that were stemless so i dipped them for her to try. Apparently, chocolate makes anything edible, chocolate and cuteness.


Chocolate Mice from Craftster
Maraschino cherries with stems (stems become mouse tails) Drain and dry off well
Hershey kisses
Sliced almonds (pair them in similar sizes- 2 per cherry- for mouse ears)
Chocolate for coating

Melt the chocolate (BUT NOT the kisses) and start dipping each cherry by holding onto its stem/tail. As you lift it out of the chocolate, attach a kiss to the end opposite the stem (this becomes the head), and place on a clean sheet of wax paper. Before chocolate sets up insert a pair of almond slice ears between kiss and the cherry body. This can get a LITTLE MESSY so you'll probably want to stop and wash the chocolate off whatever you've gotten it on, before you Dot the eyes on with pink gel icing (eyes are cuter if you put them very close together)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!