Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Project #17 Poem Cross stitch

Oof. Well this guy is finished. I made it as a present for my best friend to give to her mom. The poem has many layers of meaning within their family, and the cross stitch has multi-generational symbolism to it.

I don't know why this cross stitch gave me so much trouble. The stitching was the easy part. It was the charting and planning that was the difficult part. I think my area of expertise lies in the stitching and not the designing of cross stitch.

The cross stitch is huge...about 10x16 inches. I tried to make it as small as I could but it is a long poem so there wasn't much control over the size.

The flowers are from a book called Stitching Pretty. The flowers in the original pattern were pinky purple, but I changed them blue to fit the requested theme better. The flowers are probably my favorite part of the whole design.

I'm not 100% satisfied with how this turned out and I can't figure out why. Separately, I think the font, the layout, and color scheme look ok, but once they went from paper to fabric I started to like it less and less. I'm hoping this is only because the design is not my style. My best friend assures me that it IS her mom's style and she will love it. All I can say is she better...or I'm gonna shake my fist menacingly at her.

2 comments:

  1. It's great and I said so! I will take it to the framers Friday and hope they can get it done before Christmas. She is going to cry! Thanks a zillion Girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent you the pic of the finished framed masterpiece, and she burst out in tears! It will be cherished for a long long time. Thanks again Girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!