Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Beer Flat Bread

 I was making beer french fries, which seems to be the only fries we like to eat lately, and I kept thinking, "It's a shame I have to toss the beer that the potatoes have been soaking in."

Wasn't there something I could make with the extra starchy potato-y beer?

Of course there was, but would it turn out?

I decided to make Crispy Beer Flatbread from Yummly.

The verdict was...
Meh.

The bread got chewy instead of crispy, and never really browned up properly. Strangely, it was better the second day when I nuked a slice for 10 seconds, wrapped in a paper towel.

I have no plans to make this again, but it was definitely an interesting experiment.

If you'd like to make this bread, don't use the leftover beer that your potato fries have been soaking in and I'm sure yours will turn out lovely.

Beer Flatbread from Yummly
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 tsp salt 
3/4 cup beer 
3 tbsps olive oil 
1 clove garlic (crushed) 
1 tbsp herbs (dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, and/or marjoram)

Preheat oven to 400. Put the baking tray into the oven. So it will be hot as well. Mix olive oil and garlic and set aside.  Mix flour with salt and add beer. Mix with hands until dough is formed. Knead dough 5 min with slightly floured hands. Let rest dough 10 min. Stretch out dough onto parchment paper the size of baking sheet.  Brush with oil and herbs.  Put parchment on tray and bake 5-10 min (I baked mine for 20 and it still didn't get brown on top.)  Bread should get brown and bubbly on top!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!