Monday, November 19, 2012

Fudge Pudding Cake

Sometimes you have one of those days where you just NEED chocolate.

On those days I usually turn to my trusty handy dandy chocolate mug cake

However, as fate would have it, my loving family, also wanted dessert.  I did NOT have the patience to measure up three separate mugs of cake.  I wanted something that I could toss together in one bowl, pop it in the oven and forget about it.

Warm fudgy pudding cake from the Kitchn seemed like the perfect fit.

This dessert is similar to the mug cake I love so much where the top is cake-y and the bottom has a gooey fudgy pudding.

Oh yes, it looks like a hot mess.  There's no mistaking that.  But it tasted great and satisfied my chocolate desires.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the gooey pudding on the bottom.  Alas, such is the life of the chocolate junkie.  We can't even remember to take a picture we need our fix so badly.
I thought this cake tasted even better the next day with a quick nuke in the microwave to take the chill off.  And, no.  I still didn't remember to take a picture.  Give me my chocolate and leave me alone!

There are just a few minor changes I'd make to the recipe.  I'd cut the sugar down, particularly in the pudding.  Not exactly sure by how much, but I'd start by reducing the total sugar in the pudding to 3/4c from a whole cup.  

Then I'd use hot water instead of cold.  The cold water gave the top of the cake a crunchy granulated texture I could have done without.  I think using hot water would quickly dissolve the sugar and eliminate that issue.

Warm Fudgy Pudding Cake (Serves 6 to 8) from The Kitchn 

For the cake:
1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (6 ounces) white sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk, whole or 2%
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the pudding:
1/2 cup (4 ounces) white sugar
1/2 cup (4 ounces) brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup (8 ounces) cold water

Heat the oven to 375°F. Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray an 8"x"8 baking pan.
Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt through a fine-meshed strainer into a mixing bowl. (I skipped that part.) Combine the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients, and stir gently with a spatula just until no more dry flour is visible. Scrape this batter into the pan and smooth the top.

For the pudding layer, combine the white sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Pour over the cake batter and shake the pan to evenly distribute the sugars. Pour the cold water over the sugars. Do not stir. Put the pan immediately into the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. As it bakes, the cake will rise to the top while the pudding forms beneath. The cake is finished baking when the edges of the cake turn dark brown and crispy, and when the top of the cake is shiny and dry to the touch.

Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Scoop slices of cake and the pudding beneath into individual bowls and top with ice cream. Leftovers will keep refrigerated for up to a week and can be reheated for 20 seconds in the microwave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!