Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Maple Chicken with Onions and Apples

I saw a version of this recipe for Maple apple chicken from Eat At Home.  The recipe from Eat At Home was adapted for the crockpot.  Sometimes the crockpot is great, but this particular night was a rarity where I didn't have time to prepare dinner ahead of time.  So just made it in the skillet.

I did a bit of research and found that original recipe is from Kraft.  That one seemed the easiest.  Of
course if you are opposed to bottled Italian dressing, you could follow this recipe from Cookin a blue streak that uses thyme, sage, cider vinegar and chicken stock.  I, however, am most certainly not opposed to bottled dressing!

This recipe was a huge success!

I was a bit leery about the onions.  We are used to eating caramelized onions.  I suppose I could have caramelized the onions, but I was short on time.  They turned out great even though they weren't caramelized.  Somehow they combine with the sweet from the apples and maple and the tang from the salad dressing.  It sounds weird, but it's a nicely balanced combo.

The leftovers were just as tasty.  We ate them cold, over warm rice.

Blockette wanted me to tell you that this dish was so awesome, it's right behind Beefaroni on the delicious scale.

Maple Baked Apple Chicken from Kraft
4 chicken breasts
1/2 c sliced onions ( I used 2 small onions)
3 apples (I used 4 small apples: 2 jonagold and 2 gala) - sliced thin
1/2 c pancake or maple syrup (I used homemade syrup)
1/3 c Italian Dressing


Heat oven to 350°F. Spray large ovenproof nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat on medi-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 min. on each side or until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from heat.  Place onions on top of chicken; surround with apple slices. Mix syrup and dressing; pour over chicken.  Bake 20-25 min. or until chicken is cooked through (165ºF). Spoon syrup mixture in skillet over chicken just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!