Monday, December 24, 2012

Stovetop Broccoli, Ham and Rice

Just a quick little post today about this Cheesy Broccoli Rice with Ham from Buns in My Oven.

This dish was a quick and easy one pot meal. 

I thought it was a great way to use up leftover ham.

Except...
I didn't like the leftovers.

Not even a little bit.

Guess that's ok.  Mrblocko and Blockette did!

I'm pretty sure it was the broccoli that messed things up for me.

I'd make this recipe again if I was feeding more than just the 3 of us, or half the recipe so there wouldn't be any leftovers.

 Stovetop Cheezy Broccoli and Ham from Buns in My Oven
1 T olive oil
1 c long-grain white rice
2 1/4 c chicken broth
2 small heads of broccoli
2 T butter 
3 cups cooked diced ham
1 -2 c shredded cheddar
1/2 t garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
splash of milk, as needed

Heat olive oil in a med pan over med. Add rice and stir to coat. Toast rice, stirring often, just until it starts to turn golden. Pour in broth, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and cover. Cook, covered,10 min. While rice is cooking, chop broccoli into bite-sized pieces. After 10 min, add broccoli to rice. Cook 5 -10 min til most of liquid absorbed. (The broccoli will cook for 5-10 min and steam for 5. ) Remove from heat and add butter, ham, cheddar, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit 5 min.  Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste and a splash of milk if you'd like to thin out  texture a bit, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!