Saturday, December 29, 2012

Xmas Cookies '12 Part 2: The Color Orange

I mentioned in my post yesterday that I wanted more color in my Christmas Cookies this year. 

Maybe I should have told my brain that "color" at Christmastime does not equal orange.

Let me state for the record that these next two cookies were were really awesome.  I was nearly going to title this series of Christmas cookie posts "The Good", "The Bad", and "The Ugly, " but I thought that would imply that these goodies weren't good.  They were very VERY tasty.  Just not terribly festive looking.

This was not the cookies' fault or the fault of those who created the recipe.  I take full responsibility.

Let's start off with the Homemade Butterfinger Bark from Cookies and Cups.

All you need are 3 ingredients: Chocolate, peanut butter and candy corn.

Candy corn?

Yes!

Somehow it works and the flavor is reminiscent of butterfingers.  They don't taste exactly like butterfingers because they aren't "crispity and crunchy."  If Butterfingers were on the chewy side then these bars would be spot on.

I made a half recipe because the candy corn container I found only had 2.5 cups of candy corn.  As it was I was happy to have made such a small batch.  These little treats were rich so I cut them small.  As a result, there were lots and lots of servings.

Oh, and if I was to give one important tip about preparing this bark, or any bark for that matter, it would be to cut them before the chocolate fully sets up.  If you wait until the chocolate has fully set it will be difficult to cut and the chocolate will separate and shatter into lots of tiny slivers that you will feel compelled to eat all of. OK so that isn't really a bad thing, but if you want your bark to have nice crisp clean lines it might be.

I used chocolate flavored almond bark to make the Butterfinger Bark.  As I only made a half batch, I had half a package of almond bark to use.

What was I going to do?  I had made Chocolate covered Ritz crackers with peanut butter sandwiched in the middle before, and they were always a big hit.  I wasn't really up to all that fussy work.  Then I saw this over at From Away.

I thought that was brilliant! 

Why not use the crackers that already have peanut butter in the middle?!

Problem solved.  You've got the salty and the sweet with minimal effort.  YUM!

Except....
they are NEON orange.

I suppose that I could have coated the entire sandwich and that problem would have been solved.  I could have even covered them in red or green chocolate, or even done some sort of decorative drizzle in red or green on them.

no.

For some reason I thought the orange would look nice.

o.O

I can't even blame this sort of thinking on my cold as I didn't get the bubonic plague from Mrblocko and Blockette until Christmas Eve.

Oh well.

At least the chocolate covered peanut butter crackers tasted good.

Butterfinger Bark(full batch) from Cookies and Cups
5 cups candy corn
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
20 oz chocolate for melting, divided in half

Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.(or use silpat) Melt 10 oz of chocolate over double boiler or in microwave,according to package directions.  Spread melted chocolate on lined baking sheet, approximately 11"x15". Don't worry too much about the exact measurements, you just want it to be a thin layer. Place baking sheet in fridge to chill quickly, about 10 minutes. (This will be a lot less than that if you use almond bark.  That stuff sets up super quick) In a large microwave safe bowl melt candy corn, 1 minute and then stir, then in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after each 30 seconds. Immediately stir in peanut butter. Mixture will be very thick. Use those muscles! Spread it on top of chilled chocolate. Place this back in the fridge for another 20 minutes, until chilled.
Melt the remaining chocolate and spread it on top of the peanut butter layer. Chill again at least 20 minutes. (Again it will be less time if you use almond bark) Cut into triangle shaped pieces before chocolate has fully set.


Chocolate covered pb crackers from From Away
Neon orange pb sandwich crackers
chocolate to coat




Melt chocolate and dip crackers into melted chocolate.  Set on wax paper to cool and harden. Top with a sprinkle of fancy salt if you so desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!