Monday, April 8, 2013

Cornmeal Blondies

Cornmeal Blondies from The Knead for Speed are a great  go to dessert for when you want bars, but are out of chips!  I think they are also a good thing to make when you want something sweet, but are almost out of flour.

Mrblocko did not want to share his creamer so I used milk instead.  To make up for the missing flavor from the bottled creamer, I added an extra teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of cinnamon.  I imagine you could try all sorts of variations of this bar using all the various creamer flavors.  Hazelnut or Irish Cream sound particularly tasty to me!

Because this recipe contains cornmeal I expected it to have a gritty texture.  The texture was only slightly gritty, just enough to let you know that cornmeal was there.  I suppose if you wanted a grainier bar you could use polenta or coarse ground cornmeal grits.  I prefer less grittiness, so the fine ground cornmeal was perfect to me.

I'll make these again for sure!

Vanilla Cornmeal Blondies adapted from The Knead for Speed
1 c fine ground cornmeal
1 c unbleached flour
1/2 c + 2 T brown sugar
1/2 c + 2 T sugar
6 T butter, melted
1/4 c + 2 T milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 8″ x 8″ square pan. In large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour and cinnamon. Set aside. In separate bowl, whisk sugars, melted butter, milk, egg, and vanilla .
Add wet to dry and stir until incorporated. Evenly smooth batter (it will be thick) into prepared baking pan. Bake 32-35 min, or to desired doneness. Let cool completely before cutting into 9 – 16 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!