Friday, July 5, 2013

Snickerdoodle Frozen Dough Balls

What do you do when you want cookies, but it's too hot to turn the oven on?  Make cookie dough balls.  These bad boys from Shugary Sweets are egg free so no need to worry about that nasty salmonella!


Actually, I made these dough balls more because I had some cream cheese in the fridge that needed to be used up.  It was just good luck that I found something that used a small amount of cream cheese AND didn't need the oven.

I didn't coat these in chocolate like the recipe suggested because I was lazy.  All I had were chocolate chips and on a humid day, they take forever to set up.  So these snickerdoodle balls are nekkid! eek!

Because these truffles weren't chocolate dipped they needed something to help keep their shape.  My dough was so sticky and loose that I increased the flour from 1 1/4 c to a full 2 cups.  I think this makes them taste even more like cookie dough.

Those of you who are long time blog followers might be thinking, wait didn't she make snickerdoodle truffles once before? Yes.  Those truffles were much sweeter as they contained a whole can of condensed sweetened milk instead of 4 oz of cream cheese.  Both versions are good in their own rights.

I think I prefer the condensed milk version for a winter treat because it is so rich.  Sometimes rich sweets are overwhelming when it's hot out.  Of course you should really try both versions out to know for sure.  Because of science.  Do it in the name of science!!!

Snickerdoodle cookie dough balls adapted from Shugary Sweets
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
2 c flour
1 t vanilla
1/4 t kosher salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cream of tartar

In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with sugars til smooth and creamy. Beat in flour, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and cream of tartar. Scoop by small tablespoon (I use a 1 Tbsp scoop) onto a parchment or wax paper lined  baking sheet or plate.  Freeze for 2 hours until hard then move to plastic bag or other storage dish. Store in freezer, the dough will still be soft enough to bite directly from the freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!