Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wild Rice Flat Bread Fail

I made this Wild Rice Flatbread from Pinch of Yum because I had all this leftover wild rice.  The pictures on the website also looked so appetizing.  Unfortunately, my flatbread did not turn out at all like the pictures.

Pinch of Yum's flat bread was a lovely golden brown.  Mine was dark blackish brown.  And before you ask if I burnt it, let me say, "NO!  I did NOT!"  It was that color after I pureed it.

The darn thing also did not want to cook. After 15 minutes I tried to flip it using the towel technique mentioned in the recipe and the whole thing fell apart completely.  It had not set at all.  I was able to mash it back together in the pan and form a patty again.

Long story short, it took an hour in the oven before the rice flat bread had set up.  This was not the quick lunch I was hoping for!

The crispy edges were OK, but the center was still quite mushy.  I'm sure I could have continued to cook it for another 30-45 minutes, but I didn't feel like spending that much time on something that just turned out OK.

So what went wrong?  I'm thinking because of the texture of the rice the original recipe resulted in a lighter bread, they used a wild rice blend.  Mine was 100% wild rice.  I think the starch from the regular rice may have help bind everything together.  Also, I think that I just don't care for wild rice plain.  Another reason for using a wild rice blend, it gives a bit of texture and flavor variety.

I wanted this recipe to work so badly, but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.  Please let me know if you try it and how it works out for you!


Wild Rice Flatbread from Pinch of Yum
2 c cooked wild rice (or “instant” wild rice, wild rice blend, etc I suggest the wild rice blend)
1/2 c water
2 egg whites
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs. flaxseed meal
 a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1/2 tbs. olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat to 425F. Grease a heavy skillet with oil. Spread it out so bottom and sides are well covered.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until  batter-like (about 30 seconds). Pour into pan. Bake for 15 min and remove from oven. Using a spatula, flip flatbread over and bake for another 15 min. Check doneness and bake for 5 min if needed. You’ll know when it’s done because it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. (Mine never did this) Remove from oven, cool, cut, and serve with hummus or other dips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!