Monday, January 13, 2014

Dairy Free Caramel Corn

I've made this recipe 3 times and I cannot believe I managed to forget to take a picture each and every time!  It's probably because this dairy free caramel corn from Rue Rococo is so good you can't stop eating it long enough to actually use the camera.


I made the first batch to take as a dish to pass at a party.  One of my friends can't have dairy so I always try to bring something he can eat when I know he is going to be in attendance.  The snack was a huge hit, not only with him, but with the vegans too!

The swanky thing about this recipe is that you can use other spreads instead of peanut butter.  Once I used Jiff Mocha Cappuccino Hazelnut spread.  That was a huge hit with coffee fanatics.  I bet Biscoff would be amazing as well, and peanut allergy friendly to boot.

One important note: This is the sticky variety of caramel corn.  If you wanted the crunchy type, I'm sure you could bake it in the oven to crisp it up.  I was too lazy and impatient to try it though.

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn from Rue Rococo
12 c popped popcorn
2/3 c corn syrup
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c peanut butter

Pour popcorn into a large bowl and set aside. (Make sure you look through it and discard any old maids/unpopped kernels to prevent damage to your teeth.) In med pan, mix corn syrup and sugar. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and quickly stir in peanut butter until smooth. Pour peanut butter sauce over popcorn and toss to coat. The mixture will set up quite rapidly and be difficult to stir so be sure to use as large of a bowl as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!