Monday, May 11, 2009

Wingnuts or nuts for wings

I never used to care for chicken wings, maybe because I'd only ever had soggy Buffalo Wings drowning in hot sauce. (I'm not a big fan of hot sauce. I can't seem to get over the stinky stink.)That all changed last month when we got a coupon from Buffalo Wild Wings for free wings. I had never tried anything other than the hot sauce kind of wing. This time we had the Garlic parm and the Terriyaki. Nummers! I couldn't tell you which one I liked better. Ever since then I have been craving wings. I found this recipe for Savory chicken wings a while back and thought Mother's Day would be a great time to test them out. They were a big hit with the whole family. Even Blockette said they were "The Best"! High praise indeed.
We used frozen wings which is probably blasphemy. Whoop-de-doo is what I say to that. They were on sale and wound up being more meaty than the fresh ones. We defrosted them the night before, and in the morning added the marinade. They were cooked in oven first and then grilled, which got them nice and crispy. No soggy wings here! The marinade had a good mix of flavors, but I would have preferred if they had a tiny bit of heat. Next time, and there will definately be a next time, we make this we will be adding some zing to the marinade with crushed red pepper flakes.


JS' Savory Chicken Wings from Eating club vancouver
1 tsp five-spice powder
2 tsp garlic powder
4 tbsp ground coriander
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
juice of 1 lime

4 lbs chicken wings

Combine all ingredients together (except chicken) and whisk. Pour over chicken wings and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Cooking method can vary: Baked in the oven for 35-40 min at 350, then finished at grill.
OR Bake 45 min and broil at end for charred finish.
OR cook totally on the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!