Thursday, June 18, 2009

Frogurt pops

Last week my mom came to visit while Mrblocko was in Atlanta. She brought with her some cherry yogurt and promptly forgot to eat it.

I'm not the biggest fan of yogurt these days. I only like to eat it with a nice crunchy bowl of granola. I've spoiled myself and now the store bought granola tastes stale and bland. I'd much prefer to make my own. However, the recipe I like makes A LOT of granola. I just didn't feel like going to all that trouble for 2 individual servings of yogurt.

Then, at a play date, one mom, unknowingly, gave me a great idea. She was talking about how her daughter didn't like to eat breakfast and that she would just give her a Pop tart or a frozen yogurt tube so she had SOMETHING in her system. Then she went on to say she wished they made frozen yogurt out of "grown up" yogurt. For some reason her words were rattling around in my brain when I got home. (HEY! No comments from the peanut gallery about my rattling brain and it's one lonely idea!) I opened up the fridge to make lunch and there were the yogurts staring back at me.

Duh! Why not freeze them before they expired? It's so simple I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this before. All those poor expired yogurts that wound up in the trash when they could have been delicious frozen treats!

I whipped out my swanky Tovolo shooting star Popsicle molds and began to pour in the cherry yogurt. I soon realized that it would make only 3 and a half Popsicles. Now I ask you, who wants a half a Popsicle? Then, I had another brilliant idea! I scooped out some of the yogurt from the full molds so 4 molds were evenly filled. Next I stirred in...wait for it...mini chocolate chips. Not only did the chocolate pair nicely with the cherries, they made eating the Popsicles even more fun.

2 comments:

  1. oh perfect! Katie saw a trix frozen yogurt commercial and went gaga, and Voila! frozen breakfast! I will have to get some freezer popsicle thingys as the frozen yogurt on a stick was kinda unwieldly. You waste all your good ideas on me girly! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have all kinds of fun making these AND make them sugar free. Next time I think I will get a couple of different flavors and make layered pops.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!