Monday, December 14, 2009

Cake Mix Cookies, Take Three: Lemon Edition

I've made cake mix cookies two times before. Once successfully and once not so successfully. A while back I saw another recipe for cake mix cookies on My Baking Addiction and thought I'd give this lemon version a try.
The cookies didn't spread as much as I thought which was probably due to the fact that I stuck the dough in the fridge for a few hours before I portioned them out with a small cookie scoop. They turned out a perfect size. If you are going to make cake mix cookies, do yourself a favor and chill that dough!

I didn't have lemon extract so I just left it out. There was enough lemon flavor from the cake mix, lemon zest, and lemon juice. If you are freaky about lemon flavor, go ahead and add that extract, but I don't think it's necessary. These cookies reminded me a bit of the lemon Froot Loops. Don't get me wrong, I like Froot Loops, but there was a weird artificial taste that was a bit off putting. Now I'm wondering if the lemon extract would hide some of that funky aftertaste.
I made these cookies for Blockette's Christmas pageant figuring no one else would bring anything remotely similar. I was right, the cookie tables were mostly filled with a wide variety of gingerbread and sugar cookies. The lemon cookies sure looked good, I just wished they tasted as good as they looked.

Simple Lemon Cookies from My Baking Addiction
1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 375 F. Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, and lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest until well blended.Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into a bowl of confectioners’ sugar. Roll them around until they’re lightly covered. Once sugared, put them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes in the preheated oven. The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!