Monday, August 16, 2010

Korean Skewered Chicken

I actually made this about a week ago. I am just that disorganized lately that it takes me a full week to get a recipe posted. I'm proud that I even remembered to take a picture. This recipe for Dakkochi, or Korean Skewered Chicken comes from the blog of Kevin over at Closet Cooking.

This dish was a big hit with all of us. I anticipated it would taste a whole lot like yakitori, so I served it up with some soba (Japanese Buckwheat noodles) on the side. They made a great pair. Of course Mrblocko had to go and ruin it by putting soy sauce on his noodles. Bleck. At least it wasn't hot sauce. This dish tastes like I always imagine yakitori to taste like. I always get excited when I see it on a menu when we are out to eat, and am always disappointed with the outcome. The chicken is always fatty, too salty and greasy. This was most definitely not the case with this recipe for dakkochi. It was perfectly sweet and salty and umami-y.

Naturally, I had to alter the recipe. I couldn't justify buying a whole bunch of green onions when I'd only be using one. So I just left out the green onion. The recipe already calls for half a small onion so I didn't feel like the marinade would be missing much by leaving out one tiny green onion.

The recipe also calls for an Asian pear. In case you hadn't noticed, Asian pears are not in season. Good luck finding one in August. If you ask your grocer where they are, he will laugh at you...or at least he will try to hide his face from you as he tries to hide his laughter. No? Maybe that only ever happens to me. Anyhow I bought a regular old pear and that worked just fine. I don't remember what type of pear it was because it was way back in olden times...you know...last week. I do remember it had light brown skin. Why that color? Cause Asian pears are that color of course. Duh. And we all know that color substitution works in recipes.

All substitutions aside, the recipe was awesome. I can't wait to try it when Asian pears are in season.

Dakkochi from Closet Cooking
1 pound chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
3 cloves garlic (grated)
1 inch ginger (grated)
1/2 small onion (grated)
1/2 Asian pear (grated)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 green onions (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix everything in a freezer bag and marinate for at least an hour. Skewer the chicken on wet skewers and set aside. Strain the solids from the marinade and simmer the marinade until it thickens and becomes saucy, about 5-10 minutes. Grill the chicken until cooked, about 5 minutes per side basting it with the marinade as you go.

1 comment:

  1. Your dakkochi looks great! It reminds me of yakitori as well. In a pinch you can easily use any type of pear or even an apple such as a fuji apple.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!