Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Belated Halloween Hot Chocolate

I had every intention of making Good Life Eats' Pumpkin spice white hot chocolate for Halloween this year. Unfortunately, life itself had other ideas. Both Blockette and I were on antibiotics. Bleck. I don't know about how your body reacts to antibiotics, but we get wonky tummies when we drink milk.

Wow was this ever worth the wait! It tasted just like a chocolatey liquidy version of pumpkin pie. Om nom nom! I will definitely make this recipe again.

The original recipe is for 4-6 people so I made a half recipe. This was a perfect size for 2 medium and 1 small mug. The drink is really rich so a smaller cup was OK by all of us. Or... maybe it isn't supposed to be quite as rich. See, I had reserved some white chocolate to make this drink, and then, like a ninny I used it for something else. So I improvised. I had 4 oz of Wonka's Exceptional Chocolate Waterfall (a candy bar that is a combo of milk and white chocolates, ) so I used that. What did I use for the other 2 oz??? Almond bark. Yeah. Weird. I know. But it worked! I told everyone they had to drink the hot chocolate while it was hot so it wouldn't set up in the cup from the almond bark.

I really don't know if this drink would have set up due to the almond bark because we all drank our beverage while it was still hot. Yes. Even Blockette. That's how tasty it was!

Oh, and if you subscribe to my school of thought, this drink was good for you. Dairy, vegetables and antioxidant filled chocolate... can't go wrong with all of that!

Half Recipe of pumpkin white hot chocolate from Good Life Eats
2 c skim milk
6 oz white chocolate (don't use Nestle because their white chocolate chips are waxy and gross)
2 T Cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/8 tsp cardamom
a pinch each of allspice and ground ginger

In a sauce pan combine 1 c milk, white chocolate and cocoa. Cook over medium heat, whisking until chocolate has melted and is well combined with the milk. Whisk in the pumpkin and spices. Add in the remaining cup of milk. Heat until nice and warm. If you wanna go all out, top with whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good! I haven't had hot chocolate in years but I will have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!