Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Microwave Apple Crisp

How is it that I have not written about this amazing apple crisp before?  I got to thinking about it and I haven't made this awesome microwave apple crisp ever for Blockette.  That means it's been at least 6 years since I've made it.  I guess that I've just gotten so focused on baking new things that I lost touch with some of my favorite classics.

My mom and I used to make this all the time when I was a whipper snapper.  It comes from Betty Crocker's Microwaving for One or Two. This was perfect for the two of us.  We were never big eaters so most recipes that even served four left us with loads of leftovers.  It was nice to have some dishes where we knew we wouldn't have to be eating the same thing for days on end.

This is also the perfect dessert when you want apple pie, but are too lazy to make crust and want your dessert in 15 minutes or less.  And let's face it, most of the time I'm too lazy to make a pie crust and I want dessert NOW!

Below is the recipe for two servings.  You can easily half or double the recipe to your liking. If you are going to make a serving for one, just use a dash of the spices and nuke the apple crisp for about 3 minutes.

Microwave Apple Crisp for Two (A la Betty Crocker)
1 1/2 c peeled, sliced tart apples
2 T Flour (I've used All purpose and unbleached whole wheat.  Both were tasty.)
2 T oats (the recipe says quick cooking, but I've used old fashioned and that works fine too.)
2 T brown sugar
2 T margarine or butter, softened
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Spread apples in a 24 oz microwavable dish.  Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle on top of apples. Nuke that bad boy for 5-6 minutes until the apples are tender.  Serve with ice cream if you know what is good for you.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I'm going to have to try this. I love quick and easy desserts- and this one seems healthier than most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like to pretend it is health food because it has fruit and whole wheat!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!