Monday, October 3, 2011

September Reads

1.The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure.  I'll admit it.  I thought the Little House on the Prairie books were 100% non-fiction books.  Turns out a lot of it was made up from bits and pieces of Laura's life, not exactly in the right order, town or with the same people.  This book is the journey the author went on as she visited all the historical places from Laura Ingalls Wilder's past.  It's an interesting read for fans of the time period, the books and maybe, dare I say, fans of the TV show.

2. The Mulligan by Nathan Jorgenson.  My mom gave me this book and told me it was hilarious.  Then my husband read it and agreed wholeheartedly.  I thought they were both nuts.  The story starts out fairly slow and I found myself getting really angry with the main character.  I mean he was SUCH an absolute doormat.  Mrblocko said that it started getting really funny at the Ranch, but I didn't start laughing out loud until the main character starts working as a guide.  The book itself is written very well, except the end kind of fizzles out. That was a bummer.  Over all it is a good book that I think appeals to a wide audience.  

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  This book was awesome.  In the future most everything is done in this virtual reality called OASIS.  The guy who invented it put in his will that created this mega Easter egg.  Whoever finds it owns OASIS and becomes the wealthiest most powerful person on the planet.  Oh and did I mention that the guy was a teen in the '80's so the whole thing is filled with '80's references.  Yeah.  So if you're a computer geek, gamer, plugged in nerdy kinda person, or even the slightest bit of an '80's freak,  you will love this book.

4. Brains: A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker.  This was a fun fluffy zombie read.  At times I thought the author was trying too hard to be witty with all the pop culture references.  The narrator of the memoir was a hoity-toity college professor who thought he was all that.  I guess the fact that the witticisms got annoying after a while just emphasized that part of his personality.  Somehow it all works.  The book isn't going to win any literary awards, but it was a funny little story.

5. Bossypants by Tina Fey. This book reads just like watching Tina Fey on TV.  I mean I literally heard her voice in my head as I was reading it.  If you loved her on SNL or 30 Rock, you'll think this book is laugh out loud funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!