Friday, May 11, 2012

French Onion Soup Burger

I found this recipe for Campbell's French Onion Soup Burgers in some magazine I got for free in the mail.  When Mrblocko saw the torn page on the counter I think he inhaled 99% of the air in the room. 

"When are you gonna make that?!!!  That looks awesome."

Heh.

See, I don't think he read the recipe.  In fact I know he didn't.  He thought the condensed French Onion Soup went inside the burger. Nope.  You sear the burgers and then sort of saute them in the undiluted soup.
The burger was about as anti-climatic as this picture is.

Mark this recipe down as another one where I have set my expectations too high.

I think my main problem with these burgers was that there was no actual onion flavor in the burgers.  The only way to get any onion flavors was to keep dipping the burger in the sauce. Which is what we did.

The other problem I had with this burger was that it used canned soup. Yeah yeah yeah.  I know.  Duh. Duh. Double Duh. This should be a no brainer, but acting like I have no brains is my specialty so go figure. 

I keep forgetting how much of a processed funky aftertaste canned soup has.  I use it so rarely. When I do, it's usually mixed into a casserole where the other ingredients mask that weird chemical flavor.  (If you have a lot of processed or canned foods in your diet, this won't be an issue for you.  I never noticed the odd aftertaste until I stopped eating them for a few months.)  This recipe has two ingredients, soup and meat; so there is nowhere for the processed taste to hide.


Cambell's French Onion Soup Burgers from Cambell's Kitchen
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed French Onion Soup
4 slices cheese (I used swiss)
4 hamburger buns

Shape the beef into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) burgers. Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove the burgers from the skillet. Pour off any fat.

Stir the soup in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the burgers to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the burgers are cooked through. Top the burgers with the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. Serve the burgers on the buns with the soup mixture for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!