Monday, September 10, 2012

PB 'Nana Chocolate Chip "Ice Cream"

This September has been so hot and humid. Hey! Mother Nature! Don't you know school is on and that means it's like Fall now? I mean the tree in the front yard knows it's fall. It's already lost it's leaves. Ok. So it has Emerald Ash Borer and the tree is half dead anyhow, but that is beside the point.

What is the point? It's hot out. And I come home from standing outside for an hour and I'm dripping wet with sweat and grossities.  I wanted me something cold to eat for dessert. My tummy had been a bit on the wonky side so the milk based popsicles that were already in the freezer were not appealing in the least.

Then I remembered reading about "ice cream" made from bananas.  I had bananas...loads of them in the freezer.  Seemed like a match made in heaven.

I thought this recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from Got Chocolate sounded particularly yummy.

Because I was all hot and sweaty I got all scientific with precise measurements.

I hacked up 2 frozen bananas into coins and tossed them in the food processor.

(In my opinion, the food processor is the key to the success of this recipe.  I've made banana smoothies before and the bananas always get caught in the blade, and don't blend very well unless you add a LOT of milk.  The Food processor really mashes them up nicely before they melt too much.)

Then I took a big cereal spoon and scooped out 3 blobs of peanut butter.  Then I added 3 regular spoonfuls of honey.  I pulsed it all together until it looked like creamy smooth mashed potatoes.  Next, I poured the mixture into a shallow container, and folded in a large handful of chocolate chips.

At this point the ice cream was soft serve consistency.  I could have eaten it right then and there, but it was only 4pm.  So I stuck it in the freezer for after dinner.

By the time homework was done, dinner was prepared and eaten, 2 hours later, the ice cream had hardened enough to be just barely scoop-able. 
This was what was leftover after Blockette and I got a hold of the ice cream.

How did the dessert taste?

Surprisingly, this did not have an over powering banana taste.  I think this had something to do with the bananas being frozen.  Maybe it masks some of that gross banana flavor. Anyhow, the "ice cream" was super delicious!

After  Blockette went to bed, I devoured the leftovers.  Because you know, I had not had enough fruit that day.  I wasn't a pig, just trying to be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!