Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Microwave Oatmeal Cookie

When I saw this recipe for a microwave cookie from Molly Alice Nests I was totally jazzed.  It was very low sugar, flourless and eggless.  It seemed like a match made in heaven.

If I loved eggless microwave cakes (see here, here, here and here), then I'd go ga-ga for a cookie, right?

Sadly, not so much, at least not on my first attempt, seen here:
First, the cookie never got that "cooked" look to it, at least no where near the picture on Molly Alice Nests' blog.  I didn't care too much about that though.  I like underbaked cookies, particularly ones without eggs. It's just always a bit of a disappointment when your finished product looks nothing like the original.

There was just something off about the taste. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  The best way to describe it would a be sort of a salty metallic aftertaste.  Now, I did use blueberry yogurt instead of plain yogurt, but I don't think that was the culprit.  I have made a microwave cake before and used blueberry yogurt, many times.  None of those times resulted in this weird aftertaste.  I'm thought  perhaps it was just too salty.  The peanut butter already had salt in it, so maybe the extra salt was just too much.

If the odd taste wasn't from the salt, it might have been from the baking powder.  Sometimes that can give off a metallic taste.

So, I made a second cookie. This time I omitted the salt and baking powder.  I still only had blueberry yogurt, so I couldn't rule that out as the troublemaker.  I did have some blueberry flavored craisins that I thought would go nicely with the hint of blueberry from the yogurt.  I used those instead of mini chocolate chips as well.  I also microwaved this cookie for 50 seconds (instead of 35 seconds), and used a larger plate.

Here was the result:
The cookie still didn't have that same "done" look,  but the funky taste was gone.  The cookie was a bit more crumbly from the extra cooking, but still strangely moist.

Upon closer examination of the picture of the original cookie, it seems as if they used instant/quick cooking oats, instead of rolled oats like I had.  I bet that is why the texture of my cookie looked so different.

Over all, my second attempt at this recipe was pretty good.  I debated whether or not I preferred a microwave cookie to a mug cake.  My first instinct was to say mug cake.  I do like them best.  However, sometimes you just want a cookie...NOW.  This recipe gives you that instant gratification without even having to wait for the oven to preheat.

Below is the recipe I used for the second version of the cookie:

Microwave oatmeal cookie adapted from Molly Alice Nests
1/4 c old fashioned oats
1 T brown sugar
1 T creamy peanut butter
1 T blueberry yogurt
1 t cornstarch
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 t cinnamon
1 T blueberry craisins

In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix to form a thick dough. Fold in craisins. Line a microwave-safe plate with a small piece of parchment paper. Scoop the dough onto the paper and pat it into a 3-4″ disk. Microwave on high for 35-50 seconds, or until just cooked (don’t overcook, or it will be dry and crumbly). Let cool for a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!