Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Turkey Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole

I made this Turkey Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole way back in June when Blockette was away at camp.  I thought it would be a perfect meal for Mrblocko and I to enjoy while she was away.  That way we could eat our dinner without the whining and gagging noises that we are serenaded with when Blockette is forced to endure eating a meal that includes mushrooms in some form or another.

The recipe was originally called mushroom and wild rice casserole. I found it over at the blog: Girl Versus Dough.  I hadn't intended on altering the recipe so much, but that's the way things wound up.  First, I added 2 cups of shredded turkey.  I knew the man would not be happy without some meat in his meal.  Turkey and wild rice always seem like a natural choice, plus I happened to have some hiding in the freezer. 

The next biggest change I made was to use Progresso creamy mushroom soup.  I could not find the Progresso Soup Starter.  Apparently my grocery store doesn't carry it.  I imagine that the soup starter is more like condensed soup.  Regular Progresso soup is well...soupy.  To make up for the extra liquid I added some carrots, celery, peas, corn, and red pepper.  They made the dish nice and colorful too. Well, as colorful as a dish that gets coated in white sauce can be.  Yeah.  No picture this time.  C'mon, Blockette was at camp and I had a nice long weekend alone with my husband.  Who thinks about taking a picture of their food when blessed with that kind of opportunity.  Not this lady.

The last change I made was to use both Gruyere and Italian blend cheese.  I thought I had enough Gruyere, but I was sadly mistaken.  I did have just enough so that you could taste the salty wonderfulness that is Gruyere though.  Gruyere rocks in my book.

With all these additions I needed to bake it in a 9x13 pan.  Boy did we have leftovers!

And guess what?  I wound up feeding some of those leftovers to Blockette when she came home and miracle of miracles...she loved it.  Not a single complaint about the mushrooms!  She even said they tasted good.   Amazing what summer camp will do!

via

Turkey Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole adapted from Girl Versus Dough
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1/2 roasted red pepper, minced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 c frozen corn
1 c frozen peas
3 cups cooked wild rice
2 c shredded cooked turkey
1 can Progresso mushroom soup
1/4 -1/2c shredded Gruyere cheese
1 c Italian blend shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Over med-high heat, heat large skillet with 1T olive oil and cook mushrooms until liquid evaporates, about 5 min.  Add onions, cook 3 min, add carrots, celery, and red pepper. Cook 3-5 min.  Add corn and peas until heated through, about  2 more min.  In a large bowl add contents of skillet, rice, turkey and soup.  Stir to combine and pour into pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remembering that the cheese is salty.  Top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 min.  Remove foil and bake 20-30 min until filling is bubbling and cheese is golden brown.  Let sit for 15 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!