Monday, October 7, 2013

Watermelon Slushy Fail

A few weeks ago I bought this massive watermelon.  The large ones were cheaper than the personal ones for some reason.  A large watermelon is way too much for the three of us to eat before it spoils.  I looked to see if there was some other way we could consume the melon aside from just eating it normally in cut up cubes.

I came across this recipe for Watermelon Lime Frosties over at My Life in Food.  So I froze the remaining watermelon, which just happened to be exactly 3 cups-exactly what the recipe called for.  It must be kismet, right? 
Hmmm.

Not so much.

First off my wimpy blender did not like the frozen watermelon.  I thought I was going to burn out the motor on the poor guy.  As luck would have it, I did not and I managed to puree the mixture after adding an additional cup of water.  That and pulsing and poking at the concoction for a good 20 min.

Then I thought to myself, "Man, this better be worth it."
via
Sadly, not so much.  Although, it wasn't nearly as bad as the Cucumber Drink of Slime.

The drink was a beautiful pinkish red though.  I think that was the biggest improvement over the Failed cucumber drink.  It actually looked like it was going to taste good.

So what was the problem with the drink?  It tasted bitter.  I even added additional maple syrup - 3 additional Tablespoons for a total of 5 Tablespoons.

I'm pretty sure the culprit was the seeds.  Huh?  Well, you ask, why didn't I pick out the seeds?  It was a seedless watermelon.  What?  I thought you said the seeds were the problem.  Gee you should get your story straight. 

Yes.  The seeds WERE most likely the problem.  Even seedless watermelon has seeds.  They are usually those tiny puny little seeds that are impossible to pick out.  Normally, they just get eaten and you can't taste them at all.  But in pureeing the melon...they get pulverized and their bitter qualities overwhelm the entire drink.  This is the only thing that I can think of that would make the drink bitter as the lime juice was sour, and the banana and maple syrup were sweet.

To be fair, this drink wasn't a total Fail.  Blockette loved it.  I'm not sure why.  I gave her a big old glass and she slurped and gulped that bad boy down.  I poured some of the leftovers into Popsicle molds, but tossed the rest.  Mrblocko didn't even want to try it.  I think he was still reeling from the cucumber drink debacle. 

This slushy concoction could have been salvaged by adding some booze.  Something like Malibu would have added sweetness and I believe the coconut flavor would have overwhelmed the bitterness.  However, it was a school night and Alcohol and I are not friends.  I didn't think the experiment was worth the pain I'd have to suffer the next morning. 

Hangover + walking into traffic = Pancake Mrsblocko
via

Watermelon Lime Frosty from My Life in Food
3 c watermelon, cubed and frozen
1 ripe banana, peeled and frozen
2-5  T  maple syrup
Zest from 2 limes
Juice from 2 limes (about 4 tablespoons)
1/2 -1 c water

Blend all ingredients until smooth, adding more water as needed to keep the mixture moving. Add booze as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!