Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How I Get My Family to Eat Broccoli

Blockette LOVES broccoli. I cannot get over this. It's one of those things that make me wonder if she's even related to me. I HATED broccoli as a kid. That could be because my mom would serve the frozen stuff. I'm still not a fan of the frozen stuff, unless it's smothered in cheese.

Mrblocko doesn't care for cooked broccoli either. However, when I roast it, he'll tolerate it. The following recipe is what he says is the "best broccoli he ever ate." Of course he says he still doesn't like it, but it's OK enough to choke down. (How's that for a confidence booster in the kitchen?)

I haven't made broccoli any other way for at least four years now. Whatever works right? If you don't care for broccoli, but haven't tried it roasted before, give this recipe a try. You might just find yourself having a change of heart.
Roasted Broccoli
1 bunch of fresh broccoli
2 T olive oil
2-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
1/3 c panko
1/4 c shredded cheese (You can use whatever cheese you want. Cheddar seems to be our favorite)

Preheat the oven to 425. While the oven is preheating, toast the panko in a metal 13x9 pan until it is golden brown. (I check this after 5 min, and give the pan a shake. Usually the panko is done browning before the oven fully preheats.) Set panko crumbs aside. Cut broccoli in bite size florets. (You can use the stems too if you like. I don't care for the woodiness of broccoli stems so I leave them out.) Toss broccoli in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add panko to the bowl and stir to combine. Place entire mixture back into your metal pan. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the veggies are al dente. Toss in cheese and serve immediately. If you have leftovers they can be reheated on a skillet over the stove. I like them best the second day because the cheese gets crunchy when it's reheated.

P.S. Mrblocko wanted to add that he likes to eat this dish with shelled pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top. Personally, I think that sounds nasty, but at least it's not stinky hot sauce!

2 comments:

  1. I was the same way! I hated it. My husband reintroduced the fresh stuff and we never looked back! I only lightly steam it. The roasted stuff looks great so I'm definitely going to have to try it when my broccoli is ready!! THANKS for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous you are growing broccoli. I'm debating a veggie garden, but the only sunny spot we have is in the front yard. Either that or rip up 2 huge trees in exchange for a sunny back yard. I haven't been able to decide which is the lesser of two evils.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!