Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Waffle of Insane Greatness: Worthy of it's Name?

With a name like waffle of insane greatness, could you pass up the opportunity to test out the recipe? I couldn't. When I saw the recipe featured on Inn Cuisine, I just had to see if the waffles would live up to their name. They were good, but I don't know if I would file them under insanely great.

These waffles were light, but not as light as the overnight waffles I made last month. I think they did achieve optimum waffle density, and they had a nice crispy exterior too. Where these waffles fell short for me was that they did not reheat as well as other waffles.

Part of the appeal of making waffles is having leftovers and freezing them. I even made a double batch since this recipe had a relatively small yield. This would probably be my new go to waffle recipe if they tasted better the second time around. Next time, I'll just make a single batch of these waffles, at least until I find my Holy Grail of Waffle Recipes.

Waffle of Insane Greatness from Inn Cuisine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Stir first 5 ingredients together in mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Add milk, cream, oil, egg, sugar & vanilla to dry ingredients and stir by hand until mixture is smooth. Let batter rest for 30 minutes. Preheat waffle iron; pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook as indicated by manufacturer or refer to waffle iron’s indicator light. There is no need to pre-spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray as the oil in the batter will allow the waffles to release with ease. Serve warm.

Cook’s choice: You may substitute 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup half & half or 1 cup buttermilk for the 1/2 cup milk & 1/2 cup heavy cream as suggested in the recipe above, using 1 cup (diary product of preference) in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!