Monday, June 11, 2012

Pineapple Spam Stir Fry

My husband thought it was extraordinarily strange when I announce we were having pineapple SPAM for dinner one night. Cause SPAM is all salty and unhealthy and made from pigs toenails and earwax and all that jazz. I told him to chill out cause SPAM is an OK sometimes food. Besides the dish had fruit and veggies in it, so it totally negated any bad juju from the processed meat.

What?

That isn't how the math works in your kitchen?  How sad for you.
For those of you who like to indulge in SPAM, or like me, who got such a good deal with sales and coupons that they were practically giving the stuff away, let's talk about this stir fry!

The original recipe was from a blog called mochachocolata Rita. The directions were pretty vague, and have you baking the dish like a casserole. I chose to nix that idea, in favor for not heating up the house to burning hot million degrees infinity to the extreme. Sure the skillet got the kitchen warm, but it was loads better than it would have been had I used the oven.  The original recipe also didn't have any green beans in it.  Green beans are awesome with ham and in stir fry.  I used about 1 1/2 cups of frozen green beans.  I just eyeballed it so I'm not entirely sure.  If you like yourself some green beans, feel free to use more, or even add other veggies. Go crazy and have fun.  Here is my version of the recipe.

Pineapple Spam and Green Bean Stir Fry adapted from Mochachocolata Rita
1 c rice
2c water
1 can of spam (mine happened to be bacon flavored)
2 small onions, sliced thinly into half moons
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T minced ginger (I had jarred ginger in my fridge, but if you have the fresh stuff go for it!)
20 oz can of pineapple slices, cut into cubes (They could be chunks too, slices were what I happened to have in my pantry this particular day.)
1 c of juice reserved from the canned  pineapple
3T terriyaki sauce (or more to taste)
1 1/2 c frozen green beans

Place rice in water in a covered pot.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, carefully remove the SPAM from its container and cube into bite size pieces.  Fry in a skillet on medium to medium high heat.  While the SPAM is cooking, slice the onions.  Once the SPAM begins to turn light brown, add the onions.  Once the SPAM and onions are a nice shade of brown, add the pineapple slices.  Add splashes of reserved pineapple juice from the can to help everything get caramelized.  Once the pineapple begins to turn light brown add the garlic, ginger, terriyaki, green beans and any left over juice.   The green beans should start to get little black specks on them right about the time the rice is done.  Serve the stir fry over the rice.  Top with red pepper flakes and soy sauce if that is your sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!