Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Peeling Tomatoes

I grew a pretty fruitful tomato plant this year, so I've already had to make several small batches of tomato sauce.  I'm still too chicken to can it though.  I don't think I need to with only one super fruitful tomato plant.  We're using up the sauce fast enough that I'm not running out of room in the freezer, so I think I'm ok.

Tomatoes are not my thing so I don't particularly care for a chunky sauce.  So that means pealing the tomatoes.  Do I ever remember how to do this from year to year?  Absolutely not.  I'm tired of searching for directions on how to do this so I'm posting them here.

These directions are basically from alrecipes, but I'll break it down on here as well.

1. Get a big pot of water boiling.

2.  Make a big bowl of icy ice cube a riffic water right next to the stove.

3. While you are waiting for your water to boil.  Cut an "X" into the bottom of your tomato, just through the skin.  This year I grew some funky shaped heirloom tomatoes.  Some of them looked like 2 mutant tomatoes growing together.  For those freaky guys I cut an "x" on each section of the mutated fruits. I've also found it helpful to cut out the stemy core thingie at this point.

4. Once the water is boiling, turn it down to simmer and place the tomatoes in the pot with a slotted spoon.  Try not to over crowd them.

5. Let them bob and weave in the water for about 30 seconds.

6.  Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and plunge them in the ice bath.

7.  After the tomatoes have cooled enough to the touch, the nasty skins should peel right off.

Warning: Do NOT attempt to do this with apples.  Mom...I'm looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!