Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gingerbread waffles

Today MrsThunder and her daughter came over for a play date. I made them Gingerbread waffles for lunch. Blockette often refers to them as "Black waffles" because the molasses makes them so dark. (Brown waffles are regular homemade waffles, while white waffles are Eggo. She won't eat the white waffles anymore. I guess I've ruined her with homemade ones. )

MrsThunder asked for the recipe, but as she doesn't have a waffle iron yet, I figured I'd link the recipe here. That way, when she gets around to getting a waffle iron, she doesn't have to search for a random email.

This recipe does make a metric ton of waffles, so, unless you have a crowd to feed, be prepared for leftovers. Luckily, the leftovers can be frozen and taste great reheated in the toaster, oven, or on a skillet. I prefer to reheat them on the skillet. It makes them just a bit crunchy, which I think makes them taste even better than the first time around.


Gingerbread Waffles from Rachael Ray
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, plus some to butter the iron
Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table

Preheat waffle iron. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in pumpkin, milk, molasses and melted butter. Stir the wet into dry until just moist. Do not overstir the waffle batter. Brush the iron with a little melted butter and cook 4 waffles, 4 sections each. Serve with toppings of choice.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for haivng us girly :D and thanks for the recipe. I told my mom about it and she said that the Thunders should come over some weekend and use her waffle iron ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a waffle Iron for my birthday, Yay! So, instead of looking the recipe up on the blog, I was a dork and called and was directed to the blog ;)

    They turned out great! I have a Belgian waffle maker, and they still worked well. Even the offspring liked them and I thought I would have to talk her into eating them all over again. Definitely thicker batter than the complete pancake and waffle mix I have been cheating with (call me Sandra Lee).

    Thanks Girlie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nuthin wrong with a mix. We use it all the time, I just don't write about it on here.

    Glad to hear the recipes work well on the Belgian waffle maker too.

    I'm not surprised there was no bribery needed. The aroma, once the batter hits the waffle iron, is so scrumptious, it sells itself.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!