Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pucker up

I had chicken thighs that had been in the freezer forever so I decided to make Moroccan chicken with lemon and olives last night. I doubled the recipe because I had quite a few thighs. I should have paid closer attention to what I was doing. The original recipe called for 1 lemon. So if you double the recipe you should use 2 lemons right?

NO!!!! Wrong!!! Danger! Danger!!

I did this and wow, was it mega sour. Well, duh. Two whole lemons would make something excessively sour. The chicken itself was tender and tasty, but when I served it up I poured the sauce over rice. Bleck. I think the garbage can even thought the sauce was too sour.

Blockette asked me not to make this again. I think I will honor her request. There are plenty of other recipes that call for chicken thighs I'd rather try. In fact, just this morning I came across this recipe for Five spice grilled chicken thighs with blackberry glaze. It sounds delicious. Hopefully, when I get around to testing it, I will have better luck than with the Moroccan Chicken.

Moroccan Chicken with Lemon & Olives from A Good Appetite
1 lemon
1/2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, cut in half & then sliced thin
salt &pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 T paprika
1 t cumin
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1 c chicken broth
4 chicken thighs, on the bone with skin removed
10 green olives

Slice the lemon in half. Cut one half into 4 wedges. Squeeze the juice from the other half. Set juice & wedges aside. In a skillet heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions & season with salt & pepper. Sauté til golden brown. Stir in garlic paprika, cumin, cinnamon and ginger & cook while stirring for 1 min. Add chicken broth & bring to a boil. Add chicken thighs & lemon wedges. Cover & reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 30 min, turning chicken from time to time. Remove chicken to a plate. Add lemon juice &olives to the skillet. Turn heat to high & let boil for about 5 min til slightly thickened. Serve sauce over the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!