Sunday, July 12, 2009

Neapolitan Krispies

I made these bars for a get together this weekend. I wanted to bring a dessert the kids would enjoy eating. Ironically, it wound up that none of the kids wanted to stop playing long enough to eat dessert. So, you guessed it, there were a ton of leftovers. You can't tell the size of these bars from the photo, but they are monstrous. I used a pan that is slightly larger than 9x13 and each layer has 6 cups of rice krispies!

Blockette and I had fun making them. I think most of the fun on her part was from eating marshmellows that I "accidently" dropped. At one point I was measuring out the marshmellows and I slipped and half the bag wound up on the table. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she started cramming as many of the little guys in her mouth as she could. I had to tell her to stop because I really did accidently drop them, and if she kept eating them we wouldnt have enough to make the bars. She listened but I could tell she was having a dilly of a time restraining herself.

I originally saw this on Cookie Madness, but she had a peanut butter layer instead of the pink layer. The pink layer looked better visually due to the contrast between the layers, but I think the peanut butter would have tasted better. I used strawberry jet puffed marshmellows. I'd never had them before. They had this weird artificial taste. I don't plan on buying them again.

I modified the recipe slighly from what cookie madness has on her site. Here are the ingredient ratios I used, keeping in mind I used a pan that was slightly bigger than 9x13 (probably 10x14. I'm to lazy to search for a ruler). You won't get all the layers to fit in a 9x13 pan. I really had to smash down the layers to get them all to fit, and the bars were up to the top of my pan. I followed the rest of the directions with the exception that I found wax paper sprayed with cooking spray to be better than parchment paper for smooshing down the layers. The krispies kept sticking to the parchment which was rather irritating.

Layer 1:
3T butter
4 c mini marshmellows
6 c krispies (you could use cocoa krispies. I don't care for them. The regular kind worked just fine.)
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Layer 2:
3T butter
4 c mini marshmellows
6 c krispies

Layer 3:
3T butter
1 10 oz. bag of strawberry jet puffed marshmellows
6 c krispies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!