Monday, September 7, 2009

Birthday pie

I can't believe I almost forgot about this!! I decided to try Cookie dough pie instead of cake for my birthday this year. Blockette's birthday and mine are very close together and I didn't want to be eating cake for weeks on end. This wound up being the perfect dessert for the occasion. It happened to be hot around my birthday, and this pie uses the freezer, not the oven. Who wants to heat up the house baking a cake in the summer? Not me, that's for sure.

A few days before my birthday Mrblocko asked me if I minded making my own birthday dessert. Well, I sure don't mind when it's something so easy to make. I couldn't help giggling at how simple it was to prepare. Take pre-made cookies, dip them in milk, layer with cool whip, then freeze the whole thing. Aaaand... the name doesn't lie. The end result tastes like cookie dough, without the threat of salmonella.



The photo does not do it justice. I had a slice on a plate to take a photo but I turned around and it was gone. I think we have pie gnomes. You can still see those delicious cookie layers. The layers would be even more pronounced but I think I made my cool whip layers a bit on the thin side. I used the small container of cool whip, but I think the larger tub would have been better.

Next time I'll use half milk and half coffee. This was a suggestion from Big Red Kitchen, the kind blogger who provided this recipe, that I ignored. My taste buds must be changing again because I'm starting to find the idea of coffee in desserts appealing. They haven't changed enough, mind you, to go brew myself a cup. I still think I'd rather drink tennis shoe stew than a mug-a coffee.

I also neglected to decorate the top with chocolate sauce. I was lazy and didn't feel like getting fancy. It was my birthday and I felt I was entitled to not give a flip about fanciness. I'll go fancy next time. Without the chocolate sauce on top, the pie looks really boring.

Cookie Dough Pie from Big Red Kitchen
15.25 ounce package Chips Ahoy Cookies- Original kind
8-12 ounces Cool Whip- I used 8 ounces
2 cups milk*

Quickly dip cookies in milk, shake off excess liquid, and layer in 9" pie plate, breaking cookies to fill any gaps. Once first layer is complete, top with a thin layer of Cool Whip. Repeat twice more making last layer of Cool Whip a bit thicker. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired. Place in freezer 2-3 hours before serving. Serves 6-8.

*Can use 1 C. strong coffee mixed with 1 C. milk for dipping instead of plain milk.

Note- You must dip quickly or your pie will be very soggy. Make sure to shake off excess milk as well so that you do not have a puddle of milk in your pie. You will have leftover milk but you do need that amount to get the cookie completely immersed. The final product will be like a soft cookie dough-like consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!