Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tasty Boogers and Goo

This summer Omnomicon had a recipe round robin blind testing 11 chocolate chip recipes. Bubbe's Fantastic Recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies got the blue ribbon. I thought that if it won the contest I'd best get to baking to try this marvelous cookie for myself.

What makes this recipe different from regular chocolate chip cookies is it contains ground oatmeal and shredded milk chocolate. Did someone say grinding and shredding???? Yahooo! Perfect excuse to give my swanky new food processor a whirl. (Thanks mom!!!!!)

Wow. Did that processor work like a dream. The oatmeal was ground in seconds. It would have taken my old machine a few minutes. It was so quiet and so fast I started giggling. Blockette, who was helping asked, "Mommy? Do you like your new toy?" Sweet sassy molassy does mommy love her new toy. My love for our new kitchen companion grew exponentially when I shredded the chocolate. The chocolate was on the soft side so I was sceptical. That food processor shredded up the chocolate effortlessly. Super dreamy! It would have taken me so long to shred by hand, and the heat generated from my old machine would have melted the chocolate into a lump as it shredded it.

Ah, give that photo a good lookie loo. See those small brown flecks? That is the shredded milk chocolate. If there's one thing I like in a chocolate chip cookie it's evenly distributed chocolate. You definitely get chocolate in each bite with this cookie.

As these cookies were coming together, Blockette peered into the bowl and exclaimed, "EWWWWW! That looks like boogers and goo!" I laughed at her and replied, "Really? Then I guess I get to eat yours." She came back with a quick, "But I think it looks like tasty boogers and goo." I don't think I want to know how she knows what tasty boogers and goo looks like. Somethings are best left in the dark.

Over all, these cookies weren't as fantastic as I'd hoped. Maybe I envisioned them to be over the top since they were reviewed as "the best." They were good, just not the best chocolate chip cookie in my book. The oatmeal made them quite dry and crumbly after a few days. When they became dry I made them into ice cream sandwiches, using dulce de leche ice cream. Yup, that solved the dry issue, especially when you let the ice cream get on the soft side so it melts into the cookie. Nummers!

I used my large oxo scoop and the recipe yielded 40 large cookies. This was only slightly more than 3 dozen the recipe states. I think the cookies could have been a bit smaller. If they were smaller they would have made more manageable ice cream sandwiches too.

The bottom line is I still prefer cookies that contain oatmeal to be paired with raisins or butterscotch chips. If you like chocolate chip's and oatmeal together, this version is worth a test drive.

Bubbe’s Fantastic Recipe for Choc Chip Cookies from Omnomicon yields 3 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal, ground to mealy texture
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
12 oz chocolate chips [2 cups]
4 oz grated hershey bar [this amounts to 18.5 rectangles from the Big Bar. Food Processor is awesome, but freeze if you are gonna grate by hand)
1 cup chopped nuts of choice

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat til fluffy. Mix dry ingredients and add to egg mix. Stir in chips, nuts, and hershey bar. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 6-8 min. check in at 6 min, and then every 2 min after that til you can see a little bit of browning happening on top].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!