Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sweet Potato Hash

Once upon a time mom subscribed to Rachael Ray's Everyday magazine. When she was done reading the them she would pass them on to me. I found this recipe in one of those issues. I do like Rachael Ray's cooking, but I was never that enthralled with the recipes in her magazine. I think this may be the solitary recipe from her Everyday (everydaaaaay! Hi Uncle Clownsuit!) that I have ever made more than once. Personally, I won't subscribe to her magazine. What is the point when you can find all the recipes online? I guess people read her magazine for things other than the recipes. Good for them!The yellow stuff in the photo is scrambled eggs. I know it looks a lot like popcorn, but trust me it's not. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, the eggs look less like popcorn. Do it! Remember, I said less like popcorn, not completely un-popcorn like. What can I say, the lighting over my stove is such where I gotta use the flash. Flash + eggs= popcorn. Wouldn't that make an interesting ingredient substitution?

This is another dish that uses half a pound of bulk sausage. This time used the remaining half of a tube of bulk Italian sausage from when I made calibasitas. This dish is best with breakfast sausage though.

The original recipe calls for two pounds of sweet potatoes. I never weigh them. I just grab 2 that look nice. Have you ever noticed that some sweet potatoes are long and skinny, while others are short and fat? I always get one of each. I've never taste tested the skinny and the fat ones side by side to know if they taste different. In my head I imagine that they do. Let's not shatter my twisted little make believe world by telling me there is absolutely no difference. I like it here and no, I will not tell you what color the sky is here. Plbbbt!

Anyhoo, here is the original recipe for Sweet potato hash. But I don't make it that way anymore. Here are my slight modifications:

2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage (breakfast sausage is best, but Italian will work)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1/2-1 c salsa or picante sauce

5-6 eggs

In a medium pot of boiling water, cook the sweet potatoes until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to caramelize. Add sweet potatoes and cook until potatoes begin to get speckled with black bits of goodness. Add garlic, sausage, and cumin. Stir to combine. Add salsa, just enough to lightly coat the meat and veggies. In a separate pan scramble eggs. Add eggs to meat and potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with more salsa if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!